Friday 4 October 2013

It's spring..are you cleaning?



While the idea of spring cleaning your beauty bag, or drawer on a Friday night might not sound like the most exciting thing to do, the thought of making way for some fresh new colours and 'beauty 'treats' may just be the sweetener to this awfully boring task.
I personally like to keep my make-up & skincare routine simple, so it helps when deciding what to keep and what to toss. I must admit its not easy as I'm always at the 'GLAM' counters browsing for the latest trends and products.
Winters done and fairy dusted, so start with your basics. Foundation has a shelf life of not more than eighteen months so that can be saved until next winter, depending on how long you've had it of course. I try to make a mental note of the dates when I buy new products, it never helps as my brain is filled with so many things at the same time, but I'm thinking about writing the dates on the bottom or back of the packaging, let me know how that works for you. Do store away from direct sunlight though . It's also best to opt for a lighter tinted moisturizer or sheer foundation for the warmer summer months ahead.
Mascara generally lasts about four months and this is one item I know I am guilty of holding onto a bit longer than I should, I do however monitor when applying. The more you use it the more air gets pumped into the container increasing the risk of bacteria getting inside. You can tell when it starts to go 'off', it gets drier and clumpier than usual and may also have a bit of an odd odor. Toss it out! You are setting yourself up for a serious eye infection.
As for the eye shadows you just had to buy at the last clearance sale three years ago, if you not using it get rid of it. In fact you should be throwing it out the window. Powder shadows and blushes last about two years and the gel and creme counterparts usually less, about six months to a year because of the moisture content, making it a great bacteria playground. Opt for natural matte shades for the day and a bit of shimmer to dazzle your date nights.
To clean pencil eyeliners all you need to do is sharpen before every application. That's not so difficult. Their liquid cousins however I would classify with the mascara family, if its dry and smelly, toss it out.
Now for my love of lipstick, this little darling has been put to test and it has been noted that if you apply your lipstick three times a day, you would get about 293 swipes of colour, and that would equate to about three months of usage. Wow?!? It lasts about two years but mine seldom does.
Brushes and sponges I wash with warm soapy water and leave to dry in the sun. I prefer not to wash sponges more than once, I just replace as needed. Do not forget your make-up bag or box on wheels in my case, I use wet wipes to give it a good old wipe down, and they actually good for any make-up spills.
So there you have it, all clean and fresh as a daisy and ready to welcome the seasons new sparkles. I'm thinking of dashing over to the Chanel counter in the morning to pick up a lipstick or two just to spoil myself for all the hard work.
Remember, keep your make-up simple and do what works for you.
Until next week..much love
Miss Bloom

No comments:

Post a Comment